Thursday, September 17, 2015

Can an ebook evolve?

In this past reading, it was refreshing to get a sense of how books started and see where they are headed now. The article I found the most interesting was the one about why ebooks haven't taken off. To be honest, I do feel like ebooks have a lot of potential, but we're just having a hard time to find the best way to implement them.  I do agree with article and wish that there was a way to get enhanced ebooks across all platforms of tablets instead of just being on the iPad.

Another solution, which I did mention in class was to create and app that everyone can download like the Kindle app. It's downloadable for androids and apple products and it stores books from a cloud! That's the best part! If all enhanced ebooks were located in one spot and uploaded from a cloud without taking too much memory, enhanced ebooks would be much more of a bigger hit.

But I do still believe that the big bucks for enhanced books is textbooks and learning. Kids have a short attention span and it's a really good way for them to interact with a game and learn at the same time. With textbooks, this can go really viral with college students. Having in interactive book with videos, sounds, and extra information in one book helps a lot! You don't have to search around for extra information when it's right there in front of you.

The best way to get can ebook out is to know your audience and know your content! I was so happy with the UX Magazine article! This is what I'm familiar with and this is what I understand. If you understand your user you can understand what to do with the content you are given. You need to know what their age range is and how well they are able to use technology. What I loved best was when they said to test! This is the most important thing you can do when creating any interactive design is test what you created and see how usable and functional it is. If people don't like it, you go back to the drawing board and recreate it. Don't just send out an app blind. Test it's success rate so you know people will be able use it and use it well.

All the things that I have listed, and I'm sure there are other reasons, but I believe if we can accomplish these goals, enhanced ebooks will be a big success. But if they don't I think audible might steal their shine.


No comments:

Post a Comment