Friday, September 25, 2015

Chopsticks

The book that I decided to review was Chopsticks. Now, I know they were testing the waters on this enhanced ebook, but I honestly don't think the content of the story was very well done. The interactions of the book were great, but at the same time I don't think it was necessary.

Whenever there was an interaction, there would be music notes flying all around the area. At first I was confused by the sight of them. I thought there would be music playing if I tapped on it due to the book being called Chopsticks, but the were simple interactions of a paragraph appearing or indicating that photos very able to be moved around. It was nice interaction, but I just wished they chose multiple ways to show an interaction.

Most of the content is just photos you flip through. You get a general feel about where the story is taking place and you understand that the protagonists are two teenagers who are falling in love. You're able to interact with them throughout the story and see them take photos, write instant messages, and even listen to the playlist they created for each other. It was great interactions, but as a reader I felt left behind.

I wanted to know more about Frank and Glory's past life. I got the sense that their mothers past away, but I wasn't sure why or when it happened. I knew Glory had a rough relationship with her father, but I didn't understand why. Had her father always been like this or was it just after her mother pasted? For Frank, I knew he was struggling in school but never understood why. I knew he was bullied but I didn't get why he was they way he was.

This ebook had great interactions, but there was just not text content, or there was just enough to get you by. As a reader I wanted to learn and engage more with the characters. I wish I got to see both characters developing, but I mainly just saw photos. So I wasn't sure if I should consider this a book when I feel like a book as content depth. I felt like what I got was just the icing on the cake but I couldn't eat it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment